Monday, April 21, 2014

A Letter to My 16 Year Old Self


Dear 16 Year Old Me,

Please don’t change.   I know you probably wanted to hear something much more practical, as I am sure you are struggling with figuring out who you are.   While it may not seem like it at this stage in your life, that struggle is going to make you great.   Without the challenges you are facing now, you would grow up to be “normal”.  I know that “normal” is what you believe you want.   But listen…“normal” is just a setting on the washing machine.  “Normal” is boring and monotonous.  Everyone has the potential to be that.   You are not just anyone.  You are YOU.  Right now you have no notion of just how powerful that is.   I suppose if I were to prescribe you some sort of action I would advise you to stop trying to fit in so much.   Quit “over-trying.”  Stop being afraid to stand out.  Just be who you are.   Find confidence in that.  Take comfort in knowing that you will be more than okay, you will be INCREDIBLE.  And while you feel alone right now, there are many more like you in your future endeavors.   Many more that will need your help someday.   And these awful experiences you find yourself in these days as a teenager will allow you share what you have learned with those in our future.    I could reveal many secrets regarding what life in the future, but that would spoil the many great and wonderful surprises that life has in store for you. Just be who you AUT to be. 

Love,


Your Future Self 

No comments:

Post a Comment