Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Catching Up With...Kim!


Kim is a former student of mine who graduated last year.  She has contributed to the blog in the past via her Senior Spotlight post, video interviews with yours truly, and various blurbs embedded in my posts.   I caught up with Kim to see how life has been after high school. 

Ms. D:  What do you miss most about high school? 
Kim: Well....being with my friends and teachers.  I miss hanging out with my friends and chatting with them.  My teachers made me feel special. 

Ms. D: What are you doing now that you have graduated? 
Kim: Taking care of my nephew Brian. He is 3 months old.  He was born 3 months premature and has many medical problems.  His lungs didn’t develop, he has a cyst in his brain, and has very bad acid reflux.  Brian is a strong baby.  I’ll do anything to be with him.   It’s a responsibility, but it’s fun.  At first it was hard being an aunt, but now it’s really easy. 

Ms. D: Do you have a job? Go to college? 
Kim: I do not have a job but yet but someday I want to be a sports manager.   I would really like to study sports management and hope to go to the University of Texas. 

Ms. D: What has been the hardest part about having Autism and being "in the real world" (out of high school)? 
Kim: Getting into college.  The hardest part so far has been taking the required assessments. 

Ms. D: What advice would you give to a senior with Autism on what to expect after graduation? 
Kim: Be sure to have your career and college plans set up.   Decide now what is important in your life, even if it will change later.  
  
Ms. D: What hobbies or things do you do for fun now that you are out of high school? 
Kim: going for walks, play video games, and play sports.  I really like to play soccer and pool. 

Ms. D: You ask me one! 
Kim : When can we start the get together for summer?
Ms. D: VERY SOON I HOPE!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment