Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Autism Awareness: Insights from the Autistic

HAPPY WORLD AUTISM AWARENESS DAY! Don't forget to "Light it Up Blue" today!

I asked a student to give some insight on Autism Awareness Day and why it is so important and valuable to the Autism Community to educate the Neurotypical population.   Here is their response:

"The more we make people aware of Autism, the less likely it is that people are going to make fun of us for being different.  Autism is also a part of us.  Taking it away from us is like taking away your legs suddenly.  It wouldn't be fair.  So if we continue to try and "cure" Autism, we will be taking away a huge part of society and a group of people who have a lot to contribute despite their individual differences. Instead of a "cure" we should seek acceptance." -Social Skills Student

Well said, kiddo. I couldn't agree more.  Many of us on the Spectrum feel as though Autism is a part of who we are.  It doesn't define us; it shapes us.  We grow with it, because of it, and in spite of it.   That's not to say we shouldn't try to improve in the areas of our deficits.   Anyone, Autistic or Neurotypical, struggling with communication and social skills should make a valiant effort to improve their abilities.   This is why I have a passion for teaching Social Skills to students on the Spectrum.   But Autism to me goes much deeper than skill deficits.  Autism is why I am capable of connecting to the world and others on a different level than most people, allowing me to go beyond the surface.  To some, my struggles with "surface" relationships may indicate that I am incapable of forming relationships.  On the contrary, it makes it possible for me to form deeper and more meaningful relationships.  While I often struggle with social situations, awkwardness, and translating my thoughts and ideas from the pictures and movies in my mind into meaningful words, I wouldn't trade my struggles for anything, even if it meant I could be Neurotypical.  Autism is a part of my soul, a part of my very being. I am proud of who I am as an individual, Autism included.   And my message to my students on the Spectrum....all you ever have to be is YOU.  


No comments:

Post a Comment