Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Sensory Processing Part 3: That Sound






For the Autistic, auditory input is more often than not a catalyst for sensory overload.  Analogous to the overload initiated by touch, noises can effortlessly overwhelm our nervous system, spinning us into an oversensitive state, leading to frustration, distractibility, and even meltdowns.   Imagine if the most insignificant noise sounded like nails on a chalkboard, or if the crinkling sound of crumpling paper made you cringe.  Imagine if you could hear things such as the hum of the refrigerator or the buzzing of a light bulb on the same scale that you hear a typical conversation.  

Often those on the Spectrum have co-occurring conditions, such as Attention Deficit Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, or Tourrette Syndrome.    In my case, as with many others, I am afflicted by Central Auditory Processing Disorder, or CAPD.   This only complicates the affliction of sound sensitivity.    However, not everyone with Autism who is sensitive to sound has CAPD. 


Multiple and competing sounds can be arduous for the Autistic.  It becomes laborious when there is more than one conversation or activity taking place that requires our auditory attention.   Another offender is echoing.  Gyms and auditoriums are particular places in which giving our auditory systems are extremely taxed by echoes.   Listening with intent may not be possible in these places.  However, some may enjoy the reverberation of voices and sounds from the walls, and may seek this pleasurable input. Certain frequencies may plague us, frequencies that customarily would not inconvenience a Neurotypical person.   Sirens, vacuums, fireworks, car alarms, fire alarms, buzzers, and jets flying overhead can all be alarmingly and piercingly painful to the Autistic. 

Sometimes we may not give consideration to the source of our hindrance, and we continue to remain in the environment which is causing our conflict.   Other times we may be in a position in which we recognize our struggle, but for one reason or another we are unable to remove ourselves from the circumstance.  One strategy to help is to use headphones or earplugs to muffle sounds when loud or unwanted noise is anticipated (some Autistics, especially when they are young children, will place their hands over their ears). Speech therapy can incorporate activities to help process sounds.  One of the best ways to help someone with Autism is to give as much advanced warning as possible to the threat of loud or unexpected noises.  

Here are some firsthand accounts from students with Autism on what it is like to be sensitive to sound: 

“Sound Sensitive: Sound can be sensitive to some autistic people like me. I hate it when someone scratches the chalk board or when I scratch paper. Some people hate or dislike certain sounds. But not all people who are autistic are sound sensitive.  Some like all sounds or none at all.” – Social Skills Student

“There are some noises that really bother me such as this one weird noise that was very high pitched.  I don't know where it came from but it was very annoying. I really don't like it when people are talking incredibly loud and distracting me during my work. The other noise I cannot stand is there was this other autistic girl and she would scream at random I know she couldn't help it but it was really annoying.” – Social Skills Student

“I also dislike loud sounds, like those blaring from cars or headphones. Sounds should be at a nice level. In all, lights, colors and sounds should be at good, acceptable levels for every person who is going to see or hear it.” – Social Skills Student

“I heard a fire drill last year. It was pretty loud so it hurt my ears.” – Social Skills Student

“I’m sensitive to sounds my ears hurt from loud noises it gives my headaches .my ears are sensitive .I don’t like loud noises like car honks ,my brother’s trumpet, alarm clocks and yelling.” – Social Skills Student 

No comments:

Post a Comment