Friday, April 19, 2013

Sensory Issues Part 4: What's that SMELL?


Today we will wrap up this blog series on Autism and Sensory issues, although we will still undoubtedly continue to cover these matters as they arise in future blog posts. 

The person on the Autism Spectrum may have an over or under-sensitivity to smell.   There may be some aromas the person cannot seem to get enough of; still other odors may provoke a response so volatile the culprit may lead them to an extreme physical or emotional reaction.  
As promised, I will give you a first-hand account from my own personal experiences as an Autistic.  Visiting a McDonald’s, Jack in the Box, Burger King, or nearly any other burger joint is a nightmare for me.   The instigating agent?  Ketchup.  Yep.  That sweet, putrid, sticky, blood-red, thick, disgusting substance that coats French fries, plasters children’s faces, and gummies up trashcans, tables, and floors at fast food restaurants everywhere.   As soon as I walk into a fast food chain I am immediately bulldozed by the noxious odor of this most popular condiment.   I cringe and attempt to power through.  I endeavor my focuses on other things; my burger and fries, the anticipation of a thick chocolate shake, the children two tables over who are pulling one another’s hair.  But the stench lingers densely in the air, asphyxiating a part of my brain that cannot seem to shake the scent.  I can almost smell it now (shudder), as I type this in my classroom, an area that is strictly a “Ketchup Free Zone”.

Other fragrances that are offending to my sensory system include the overbearing scents of musky colognes and vanilla perfumes.   When I was a child and a teen, living under my parents’ roof, I could “smell” my father coming to wake me up in the mornings.  (PS-Dad still wears too much cologne, but I still love you, Daddy!)  The aroma of vanilla creates a nauseating feeling deep in the pit of my stomach.    I enjoy roasting marshmallows and wieners over campfires just as much as the next outdoorsy individual, yet the essence of campfire smoke provokes a reaction in my gut that words cannot justify.  

There is one particularly distinct odor that I cannot seem to stomach.  This aroma makes my insides churn with emotion.  It makes my blood boil.   Just the thought of it stirs up within me the desire to escape, bringing stinging tears to my eyes.   This is the aroma of a tropical-scented air freshener.   Not just any tropical-scented air freshener, but this one in particular; manufactured by Glade in a scented oil delivery system.  I had this air freshener when I was living in my first apartment as a young adult.   During this period in my life I was going through some struggles and some emotionally trying times.  One of the air freshener refill units ruptured in a kitchen drawer, spilling its contents and coating everything inside of it with a pungent, oily film.  Upon occasion, I get just the slightest whiff of the essence of this fragrance, and all of the emotions and feelings of turmoil from that time in my life temporarily resurface. 






Here are some personal accounts of other’s on the Spectrum:





“Smells that bother me:
-types of food (chicken, onion), make my nose sting and smell like trash 
-body fluids that I don’t want to name, make me barf 
-air freshener smell horrible upsets my stomach 
-over cooked food makes a not in my stomach 
-turkey stinks I hate taste AND smell 
-body odor makes me gag 
-my brother's odor makes me want to be in a hazard suit 
-random smells makes me go /:( 
-over powered cheep perfume O_O”
-        Social Skills Student








“The smell of cigarette smoke makes me hold my breath until the smoker passes. The smell behind Nikis pizza makes me sick to my stomach: it just stinks.  The smell of mushrooms makes me want to puke. The smell of peanut butter and strawberry jelly together makes me feel like l will puke. I cannot stand the smell of mayonnaise…it just reminds me of the taste. I don’t know what it is about it I don't like but just that it makes me want to gag.” – Social Skills Student







“Garbage makes me want to bash someone’s head in. Cat food: yummy I've tasted it.  Mustard: I hate the smell of it because it makes me feel angry. Mayonnaise smells awfulSo does skin sometimes.” – Social Skills Student








"SMELLS! I hate the smell of smoke, like that of cigarettes, fires, or burnt food. Smoke gives me discomfort, and feelings like I am going to get cancer every time I smell that smell. Ketchup... Just makes me feel nauseous when I smell it. Don't like condiments. Lastly, I dislike the smell of cat litter. It's very disgusting, since I have to change their litter every two months. Eww." – Social Skills Student










“Stinky bodies, bad breath, and smelly farts smell really bad. I can't stand those smells.” – Social Skills Student





“Things I Can’t Stand to Smell 
1. My daddy and brother’s cologne.  I can’t stand it. If they put too much on it makes me want to gag. 
2. Stinky boys.   I can’t stand them, it smells horrible (no offense, boys). 
3. Deviled eggs.  I can’t stand the smell, it makes me sick. 
4. My dog’s breath, it makes me nauseous.
5. Trash bin.  It stinks and it makes want to puke.
-        Social Skills Student


No comments:

Post a Comment