Friday, April 12, 2013

Sensory Processing Part 1: Touch and Texture


This is the first in a series of posts on Autism and sensory processing.  Although not an official component of the diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorders, sensory input issues plague those in the Autism community.    Sensory processing, sometimes called sensory integration, refers to the way our brains perceive the messages collected from our senses, including sights, smells, tastes, touch, movement, and sounds.   The disorganization of the messages of a person with Autism results in a person being over or under sensitive to stimuli.  A person can be both over AND under sensitive to a particular stimulus.  For instance, a person who is sensitive to touch may be over sensitive to harsh, scratchy textures (squirming in a shirt with a tag on the back of the neck) but not be able to get enough of soft, cottony textures (touching soft shirts on a display in the store over and over again).  


Today’s post is on touch.   As suggested by the above example, the feeling of a tag on the back of a shirt can be agonizing for some on the Spectrum.    Others may not be cognizant a tag at all.  But for those whom it does bother, the sensation can be excruciating.   Often times, the person experiencing sensory adversities associated with touch are unable to clearly identify the source of the offender, leading to anxiety, frustration, and meltdowns. 


When someone touches me from behind lightly, or unexpectedly touches me, I begin to wriggle and writhe out of my own skin.  I detest being touched, particularly abruptly, unexpectedly, or delicately.   I may turn around in a fit of defensive anger if I am bumped from behind (another reason I avoid crowds as much as possible), or I may cringe and begin to shut down into my own little world.   Hugs are okay, if I see them coming, and if they are firm and meaningful.  Nobody likes a limp hug. 


I am very selective about the clothing I wear.  One of the most undesirable, insufferable things for me to do is find clothing that is tolerable for my senses, yet somewhat fashionable and that is appropriate for work.   At work we are permitted to wear polo shirts (amongst other and even less-desirable options) and I have been fortunate enough to find a brand of polo shirt that has a soft, cottony feel and a pliable collar.  In my workplace, women must wear khaki-styled pants or skirts.    My legs are very sensitive to the type of textures that touches them.  Searching for pants that do not feel burdensome on my legs is always an arduous task, but I have finally found some that are light and cool and breezy in the leg (they were designed for outdoorsmen for whom breathability and coolness are essential).  Growing up, I always dressed like a tom boy because it was what was comfortable for me.  Dresses and girls’ clothing often have frilly lace and other harsh, irritating fabrics, while boys’ clothing tends to be simple and soft.  On some days, when I am feeling exceptionally sensitive, I will put my socks on inside out to avoid letting the “bumpies” on the bottoms come in contact with my feet.    

I have an extreme aversion to the textures of certain foods.  Nearly any food item that can be considered mushy, slimy, slippery, or soggy is out of the question for me.  While often seen as “picky”, those of us on the Spectrum with sensitivities to textures truly cannot tolerate certain consistencies.    Some of the particular offenders for me include ketchup, mayonnaise, and mustard, all three very popular condiments that come loaded on burgers and sandwiches in just about any restaurant.   I double-check my sandwiches prior to taking a single bite, because if I were to bite into mayo just once… (shudder).  As a kid my disgust towards certain foods instigated numerous meltdowns.  No parent wants to take back a burger that was improperly prepared because their kid “can’t deal with it.”   The end result was usually yelling, anger, tears, and hunger. 


Just the other day my nieces (ages 2 ½ and 15 months) were over for dinner.   Temporarily forgetting my intolerance, my father made both girls plates with hot dogs and mashed potatoes and ketchup.  Tons of ketchup.   The younger one sat next to me, dipping her hot dog in and out of the ketchup and smearing it all over her face.  The sweet, sticky, blood-red substance covered her plate, the table, and her tiny little hands.  She then proceeded to look me in the eye and wipe her hands on my chair.   So grossed out and unable to tolerate the sight and smells any longer, I was forced to eat my dinner in another room.   Some may say “get over it”, but for those of us who are on the Spectrum, it is not that simple.  It is not a mental aversion that is responsible for these things, rather it is a physical problem that is related to the ways our nervous system processes these textures and smells and tastes. 

The next time someone is struggling with sensory input, keep in mind that we are not all wired the same.  A child who cries when we set their bare feet on the grass may not be able to tolerate the jagged, feathery grass below them.  Someone who gags at the sight of yogurt may not be able to handle the slippery substance.  A person who seems to dress inappropriately for a given situation may have a difficult time with the textures of certain clothing.   And the person who is ordering their burger or sandwich “plain and dry” may have an aversion to condiments. 


Here are some other accounts of what it is like to have sensory processing deficits related to Autism Spectrum Disorders:


Conversation with a Social Skills Student
Me – Tell me about how you are sensitive to certain textures.
Student - What like a weird type of fabric that sticks to your skin?
Me - Yeah, tell me about this fabric. What is it on? How does it make you feel?
Student - It’s on teddy bears, carpet, and toys and it makes me feel bad.
Student - Oh and socks.
Me - Is it rough or smooth? Fluffy? Describe it.
Student - Both rough and fluffy.

“One thing I cannot stand is the shirts with the button up collars. They feel like I’m being squeezed around the neck. I also cannot stand long sleeved shirts they make my arms feel itchy and also make my arms feel stiff. I cannot lie on the carpet because it makes my back feel itchy. If my shirt is off and I’m not under a blanket then it feels like a bunch of tiny insects are biting me on the back.”- Social Skills Student

“I don’t like to touch paper because it gives me goose bumps.  It has a texture that is too rough for me. Paper makes me want to run 3 miles away from it. I strongly dislike the feel of paper because I have autism. And my mom doesn’t like the feel of fish.” - Social Skills Student

"I don't like to be touched. My nerves would always go crazy when someone touches me when I am focused on something else. I remember last Tuesday my brother touched me on the armpits. I politely chewed him out, saying "Don't touch me!" "Stop doing that!” I dislike his tendency to touch me when I use my computer." - Social Skills Student

“I hate being touched it make me feel uncomfortable by it. I will only let my family touch me. I don’t like having my hair touched.  I twitch at the feeling. I don’t like my neck to be touched.  I hate having my feet touched because I’m very ticklish on my feet.” - Social Skills Student

No comments:

Post a Comment