Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Excuse Me...Is My Autism Showing?

Someone recently made the observation that I don't often give the impression of being very Autistic.   This is an observation that I and many others on the Autism Spectrum hear regularly.   While it is somewhat “flattering” that folks acknowledge I am prosperous and successful in my endeavors in spite of my many ongoing challenges, it is also disheartening that my differences are unrecognized and misunderstood by so many.  
So how then can a person with Autism Spectrum Disorder appear to be so “normal”?  To begin with, Autism is a Spectrum disorder.  There is an assortment of ways that the attributes of ASD manifest themselves, and they do so differently in each individual.   In addition, these characteristics also vary in intensity from person to person.   When Autism is portrayed in the media, it is usually done so in an extreme and stereotypical manner.   Most people with ASD have characteristics that are more subtle than those that are depicted in the movies or in the news.   When commenting that I don’t seem very Autistic, people often refer to my ability to apply social skills and to engage in relationships.   There is a common misconception that people with ASD prefer to be alone and have little or no desire to have friends or significant others.   While it is true that I do enjoy some time alone, I also love being around people with whom I am familiar and have a mutual trust.   Even when I am not directly engaging with others I revel in their company.   Perhaps the most significant reason I resemble the Neurotypical to the unprofessional eye would be the development of my many coping skills.  Rather than of rocking back and forth to extremes when I am feeling anxious, alternatively I rock back and forth in a more “quiet” manner as to not draw attention to myself.   Those tiny kitten-like meows that slipped out during our meeting at lunch today were actually suppressed roars of raw emotion and sensory overload escaping from within.   As with most Autistics, eye contact is arduous and painful for me.   Nonetheless, I may fool you by looking past you, looking at your glasses, or watching your lips move as you talk.   In addition to coping, it takes an extraordinarily long time for me to be comfortable enough with someone before I can show my genuine character.   I have a propensity to accrue my strongest emotions and release them with those I trust most.   The behaviors I release include both my jubilant, playful flapping and squealing and my exceedingly awful meltdowns.  While I don’t like anyone seeing me in these states, my level of emotional expression is proportionate to the level of understanding and trust I have with the person.    
What does it matter if I appear Autistic, anyway?   In truth, it matters significantly.  There are certain expectations society has for the way we behave, and if someone isn’t aware that I interpret the world around me distinctively differently, that person will be quick to judge and make assumptions about my personality and character.   My “rudeness” or “attitude” about something was nothing more than a response without any negative or underlying motives.   Instead of understanding that I obsess over things and fixate on ideas a person may just assume that I am fanatically egocentric.  When I become upset over the fact that my hamburger has mustard on it, someone who doesn’t know about my Autism might think I am just picky.   When I hog our conversation with the topic of my interest and you become bored, you might perceive me as annoying.   As someone with Autism, I need those around me to be aware that I might shy away from social situations, I might cry or laugh at inappropriate times, and I might even take things personally when I misinterpret your intentions.   I have a silly voice I speak in at times when I am feeling different emotions.  I usually only employ this voice when I am around people I trust.  If you’ve heard it, you are one of the lucky ones.  Sarcasm is lost on me, and if I suspect so I might even ask you to clarify whether or not you were being sarcastic.   I tend to take things literally.  In fact, I sometimes take things so literally that once on a road trip with my family my father told my brother and me to “sit on our hands.”   When we arrived at our destination 6 hours later, my dad told me to get out of the car.   My response?  “I can’t.  I am sitting on my hands.”  This was one of those situation in which it would have been beneficial to have known how Autism affects my thought process.  When we have a conversation, I might understand the words that you have said, and I probably will understand their meaning, but often times I do not understand their intent. 
I have also observed the implications of “not seeming Autistic” in my students.  Teachers who view Autistic students as Neurotypical often misinterpret their behaviors as intentional disruptions or oppositional.   When teachers see that students are somewhat capable of “getting by” socially, they are less willing to make accommodations and to provide necessary supports.   They often have the attitude of “If the student can do X, they should be able to do Y.”   This can be very discouraging, demoralizing, and frustrating for the student with Autism.   Students begin to lose confidence in their abilities and begin to feel as though they are being picked on by the very people who should be on their side. 
Although I do not define myself by my Autism, and although there is a certain appeal to the perception that I am doing well in spite of my many adversities, the message I would like to share with folks is that it’s important we celebrate neurodiversity and appreciate the individual differences of all.  When someone tells you about the challenges they face, don’t write them off and assume that because they appear to be coping well they are.  Always seek to find a deeper understanding of a person’s unique characteristics.    Stick around a while and you will see them J  

No comments:

Post a Comment