Friday, April 11, 2014

I Predict...A Very Autistic Day


I am no meteorologist, but I can predict the weather.   And I predict that this is going to be a very Autistic day.  Okay, so maybe that’s not exactly true, but I can tell you that changes in the barometric pressure can really affect a person with Autism. 
Sensory issues are one of the tell-tale characteristics of Autism Spectrum Disorders.   It affects the usual sight, taste, sound, smell, and touch senses.   However, it can also affect our proprioception and our vestibular systems.  
When we fly on an airplane or climb a mountain, we often experience ear pain and popping.  This is a normal response to a change in atmospheric pressure.  As the air pressure decreases, the pressure inside of our vestibular system increases, causing a release of pressure in our ears that can result in painful popping.  While the affects of extreme changes in pressure on the body are highly documented by scientists and researchers, I was unable to locate any studies on slight changes in pressure on behaviors in Autism.  I did however find many accounts from fellow Autistics and parents of children with ASD of how changes in pressure affect them both physically and behaviorally. 
Barometric pressure, or atmospheric pressure, is a measurement of how much air is compressed at a given elevation.  The more compressed the air is, the higher the reading.  The average barometric pressure (or air pressure) is about 29.92 inches of mercury.   The reason we are not crushed like a tin can by the pressure around us is that our bodies in fact have air as well, and they are pushing back in an attempt to equalize our pressure with that of our surroundings. 
So how does all of this affect a person with Autism?  Well, scientific reasoning aside, I believe it affects us greatly.   And as with any other aspect of Autism Spectrum Disorders, the way the symptoms manifest vary drastically from person to person.  My personal experience is that when there is a drop in barometric pressure, I become agitated, listless, moody, and exhausted.  It feels like I am caving in.   It’s as though my nerves are unraveling and I must find a way to hold them in place.  When the barometric pressure drops, the probability of my having a nuclear Autistic meltdown increases.  I begin sensory-seeking, searching for ways to re-pressurize my brain.  Internally I might squeeze my eyes closed tightly and take the deepest breath possible, holding it and not letting it escape.   Externally I might squeeze myself in a beanbag, wrap myself up tightly in blankets, or squeeze myself in couch cushions.  I find that deep hugs from friends help me to come to sorts as well.  It’s as though I am a balloon; a really sad balloon that the air has leaked out of slowly over several weeks until I am merely a soggy bag of rubber that can no longer stay afloat.  I get a very odd sensation at the base of my skull and down my spine.  
On the other side of things, when the barometric pressure rises, I feel incredible.   It’s as though I am that balloon and someone has found me and re-inflated me with helium.  I am set adrift again.    I am able to function at a level of incredible efficiency and I feel like I am “with-it”.  I have an abundance of positive energy that radiates from within.   While they are not necessarily negative, there is an increase in my Autistic behaviors.  I squeal more, stim more, and talk too much. 
Usually the barometric pressure is stable or changes very slowly.  Whether it is stable at a low, high, or average reading, when it is consistent so am I.   My experience is that it doesn’t matter if the pressure is high or low, but that the actual changes themselves are the culprits for the effects on the Autistic.  When the pressure drops, I experience some negative reactions.  If the pressure remains low, I eventually adjust to it. The same is true for when the pressure rises.    It just takes me a while to even out.  

The next time you notice an increase in Autistic behaviors, either in yourself or someone you love with ASD, note the atmospheric pressure.   You might just have your very own meteorologist!     

No comments:

Post a Comment